Space Cakes Land Several Gauteng High School Students In Hospital

Voiced by Amazon Polly

Students from two Gauteng high schools recently ended up in hospital after they ate “space cakes” that they bought from a schoolboy.

Last week on Thursday several students from Randfontein High School in the West Rand were hospitalised after eating the space cakes and falling ill.

As many as 11 Grade 12 students fell ill at school after eating the space cakes.

The students were taken to separate medical facilities. Two of them were well enough to be allowed to go home.

Nine others remained in hospital. One student was in a critical condition but is now stable.

“It was established that these learners consumed space cakes sold by another Grade 12 learner, who is now facing suspension as a result of breaking the school’s code of conduct and endangering the lives of his fellow learners,” said Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi.

“We are really concerned and dissatisfied at the ongoing consumption of these ‘space cakes’…”

On Saturday, four Grade 12 learners from Mamellong Secondary School in Tsakane bought space cakes on their way to class.

After they ate the space cakes, the students fell ill and were taken to hospital.

Space cakes are usually infused with THC – a psychoactive extraction of cannabis (dagga).

“We urge learners to refrain from purchasing or consuming unknown substances that put their health and lives at risk,” said Lesufi.

“The condition of these learners was being closely monitored to ensure their speedy recovery and safe return to their families.”