At long last, every licence type you need to do with car ownership and driving on South Africa’s roads is now available a click away after the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) launched its online gateway platform.
“Motorists will be able to access most of the services they had to travel and queue at a Driving Licence Testing Centre in the past for, from the comfort of their homes and offices,” said Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula on Thursday.
“They will have an option to select how they wish to receive their documents.
“The RTMC will be able to send documents to the Post Office nearer to the applicant or have them delivered to the applicant’s address. This will eliminate long queues at the driving licence centre and save time for motorists.”
The bouquet of online services which are now available include.
• The online application, issuing and delivery of a motor vehicle licence and disc to the owner of the motor vehicle
• The online application, issuing and delivery of a registration certificate of a motor vehicle to the titleholder of the motor vehicle for financial institutions, large fleet operators and motor dealers
• The online application and payment for a booking for renewal, in person, of a driving licence card at a driving licence testing centre
• The online application and payment for the delivery of such driving licence card, to the holder concerned.
• The provision of an electronic copy of an accident report
• The online notification of the change of ownership of a motor vehicle by the current title holder or owner will be implemented at a later date
All these services were available online from Thursday.
“I must also thank the RTMC and First National Bank teams for working tirelessly to ensure that we realise this milestone,” said Mbalula.
“I also thank the South African public who have been patient with us and for making inputs where it was necessary.”