Prince Andrew has been stripped of his military titles, royal patronages, and HRH honorific by his mother Queen Elizabeth, who said he will have to face his sexual assault lawsuit as a private citizen.
Mail Online reported late on Thursday that the Duke of York, born an HRH, but will no longer be allowed to use it in any capacity.
The move signals the much-loved queen of England’s attempt to distance the Royal Family from the ninth in line to the throne as he faces a humiliating trial in the US.
Earlier this week Aljazeera reported that a United States judge has rejected a bid by Prince Andrew to dismiss Virginia Giuffre’s lawsuit accusing the duke of York of sexually abusing her when she was 17 and being trafficked by the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.
In a decision made public on Wednesday, New York Judge Lewis Kaplan said in his ruling that the British royal’s motion to dismiss the complaint was “denied in all respects”.
The decision to shred Andrew’s military ties is likely to be particularly painful for the 61-year-old Royal Navy veteran, who served with distinction as a helicopter pilot during the Falklands War.