Eskom Moves SA To Stage 1 Load-Shedding, Finds Cut Lines

Embattled Eskom – which has reduced load-shedding to Stage 1 – on Friday said it had uncovered evidence of sabotage of its infrastructure..

In a television broadcast, Eskom CEO André de Ruyter said Eskom had “clear evidence” the lines to Lethabo Power Station had been tampered with.

The high-capacity line was affected after a pylon became dislodged and fell because supporting galvanised steel rods 24mm in diameter had been cut.

“This is the clearest indication that we’ve had to date that there are individuals out there who seek to really damage the economy by causing very significant and substantial load-shedding,” said De Ruyter.

De Ruyter said, “what further arouses suspicion was that nothing was stolen from the site”.

Eskom suspended Stage 2 load-shedding on Thursday at 9 pm. 

However, the power utility imposed Stage 1 load-shedding on Friday morning, which would be suspended at 9 pm.

Tags: