Arrest Warrant Issued For Absent Andile Lungisa

A warrant of arrest was on Tuesday issued against former Nelson Mandela Bay Councillor Andile Lungisa after he failed to appear in the Motherwell Magistrate’s Court for allegedly breaking Covid-19 regulations.

However, Anelisa Ngcakani, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, said the arrest warrant was held over.

Lungisa, who failed to turn up because he mixed up his dates for the court appearance, is accused of holding an illegal gathering at the corner of Addo Road and Malinge Street in Motherwell, Gqeberha on 2 July 2021.

“The trial was supposed to start today, however, Lungisa was absent in court and his attorney reported that his client had confused the dates,” explained Ngcakani.

“The court issued a warrant for his arrest and ordered that it be held over until 18 November 2021.”

Lungisa has been ordered to appear before the court on that date or face arrest.

The 42-year-old former councilor is accused of contravening Alert Level 4 regulations of the Disaster Management Act.

Lungisa, who is on parole, made his first appearance in July soon after he allegedly convened an unlawful gathering of about 30 people.

Lungisa’s troubles began as far back as 2016 when he smashed a water jug over the head of Democratic Alliance Councillor Rayno Kayser during a rowdy Nelson Mandela Bay council session.

He was subsequently convicted and sent to jail for the assault. As a result, last year, Lungisa stepped down as an African National Congress (ANC) councillor in Nelson Mandela Bay.

He had been pressured into quitting by the ANC national executive committee, which decided Lungisa should step down while he appealed his assault matter.

In September last year the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) dismissed Lungisa’s appeal and he had to go to prison.

The SCA agreed with the Grahamstown High Court, which in 2018 sentenced Lungisa to three years in jail, with one year suspended.

Lungisa was, however, released on parole in December last year – after only serving two and a half months of his prison sentence.