South African authorities on Thursday said there were no reports of fresh unrest or looting.
“We urge the public to regard as fake news claims that there have been incidents along the N3,” said the acting minister in the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni.
She said there are no new incidents of destabilisation reported in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
“Law enforcement agencies have verified that both the N3 and N2 are fully secured and operating smoothly,” said Ntshavheni in her daily briefing on the aftermath of the unrest.
She said police have revised upwards the number of deaths related to the unrest.
Police said in KwaZulu-Natal 258 deaths have been linked to the unrest.
In Gauteng, 79 deaths have been associated with last week’s violence and looting.
“The revision of the records happens when those who were injured ultimately succumb to their injuries,” explained Ntshavheni.
Police have to date opened 132 cases of arson in KwaZulu-Natal.
“Law enforcement agencies are continuing with their investigations to ensure that instigators and key participants in the unrests are brought to book,” said Ntshavheni.
She said the government welcomes the decision by the Monetary Committee of the Reserve Bank to keep the Repo Rate unchanged at 3.5%.
Ntshavheni said not changing the Repo Rate implies that fears of inflation on food and non-alcoholic beverages by some analysts may have no basis.
She said the government through the Department of Trade, Industry and Competition continues to take action to prevent inflated food prices.