South Africa’s former president Jacob Zuma spent his first week locked up behind bars for contempt of court.
The 79-year-old is safely incarcerated in the hospital section of the Estcourt Correctional Centre.
As part of Covid-19 protocols, Zuma has another week to go before he is assigned a place in the modern facility, where he is serving a 15-month sentence.
The former president, who feels hard done by the Constitutional Court, has access to television.
After a week of destruction and looting in his name, Zuma and his people have opted to remain muted.
The Jacob Zuma Foundation has gone silent and the other social media voices associated with the #FreeZuma campaign have gone to ground.
Police on Thursday said they had arrested one of the 12 people identified as instigators of the violent unrest that has caused billions of rand worth of damages.
As many as 117 people have lost their lives in the unrest.
Police said six bodies were found on the roof of a shop in Tembisa, Johannesburg.
An inquest was opened because these deaths are not thought to be part of the deaths in the unrest.
More than 2 000 people have been arrested so far for public violence and looting.
The ConCourt is yet to decide on Zuma’s request for rescission of his sentence. For now, the former president remains in prison.
The deployment of soldiers to assist he police has seen the looting significantly subside and in some parts completely stopped.
Clean up operations have begun in many areas with ordinary people coming forward with brooms to help.