Six Suspects In Murder Of 8 Men Remain Behind Bars

Six Suspects In Murder Of 8 Men Remain Behind Bars
The six men accused of killing eight others appear in the Roodeport Magistrate's Court

The Roodepoort Magistrate Court on Wednesday postponed the bail hearing of six men accused of the murder of eight others in a Zandspruit vigilante attack.

The victims were beaten and set alight in the full view of witnesses..

Last month, on 17 May, a large mob woke nine young men from their Zandspruit homes, tied their hands with wires and ropes, assaulted and took them to an open field.

Residents of the informal settlement north of Johannesburg were left traumatised after they watched as the men were doused with a flammable liquid then set alight.

Four of them died on the spot and the rest succumbed to burn wounds in hospital. Only one of the victims remains alive.

Police have since arrested Tebogo Mabula, Mziwamangware Witbooi, Njabulo Zwane, Phakisa Tsengiwe, Maxwell Mpofu, and Klaas Masemola in connection with the mob killings.

The National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesperson, Phindi Mjonondwane, said the accused face murder, attempted murder, and kidnapping charges.

Their bail application had been set for Wednesday, but their lawyer, Martin Gede, told Magistrate Ruby Mathys he was not ready to proceed.

The bail hearing was postponed to later this month, 23 June.